HTC 10 and the next acceptable phone - Nexus 6p

My current phone(s)!

You know what, I got the HTC 10 after the second replacement for my Samsung Note 7. My sad short relationship.  I have used a S7edge loan phone on my first return, so for the second one, I've decided not to pay more for an inferior version of the same phone. Big fat mistake!

First up, need to be upfront and say that this is by no means a bad phone. Everything is smooth, no jitters whatsoever. The processor is great. Minimal heat on the metal body. The boomsound is fantastic. There really is a difference if you swap a Samsung for a HTC boomsound. The difference is big. 

My mistake comes in when I didn't figure out my biggest needs. So what is it? Having been pampered by the RIDICULOUSLY good screen of note 7, the SuperLCD from the HTC10 just doesn't cuts it. The more I look at it, the more I feel like not using it. Aside from that, the screen size of 5.2 inch is really small. I have used small size phone before. 4.7 inch, and 5 inch (Nexus5). But somehow this switch back just doesn't feels right this time. But really, I'm limiting by the choices available at Optus at that point. 5.7 inch phones are either old or sold out.

And the killer. The Camera. I basically chose this as I felt that the reviews and research I did online suggested that the camera though not at the level of S7, but they have done a great deal of improvement and should prove capable enough for everyday use. I am bloody wrong again. The muted colour reproduction in my pictures, along with average dynamic range makes the pictures taken seems very bland. If the background is brighter than your subject, you are in deep shit. the will blow the highlights. I take a lot of pictures of my children. With Note 7, within a month I have taken thousands already. With the 10, the quality of the output meant that every shots that I take, there needs to be some work done to them. And I am too lazy to fix every shots. Overall, It's just a disappointment. It's not average, it's crap. 

Case in point:

See the muted color reproduction? And the blown out surroundings? How to use these photos??

All in all. Good phone. Great specs. Good audio. Smooth processor. Crap screen. Crap camera. ***

So what I do? New phone lor. Nexus 6p. Bought $620, not on contract. A real good phone. Big amoled screen, great camera, and really good even at night. Dual front facing camera. Basically, other than the chipset which is older than the 10(and ram), it is either better or matched the 10 in every way on the things that I now realise I need. ****




See the overall differences? Both cameras shot in bright daylight, but overall 6p gave me something that I can use, savour and remember.  


Share on Google Plus

About Andy

A father to two pretty and active princesses. A husband to the most hardworking woman of his life. A Business Analyst during weekdays, a regular blogger by weekends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment